FP2020 IN THE GLOBAL HEALTH ARCHITECTURE
FP2020 IN THE GLOBAL HEALTH ARCHITECTUREFP2020 IN THE GLOBAL HEALTH ARCHITECTURE | FP2020 THE WAY AHEAD 2016-2017 /en/fp2020-and-global-partners/fp2020-in-the-global-health-architecture
FP2020 is aligned with the Every Woman Every Child Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health. Launched during the United Nations Millennium Development Goals Summit in 2010 and renewed with the launch of the Sustainable Development Goals in 2015, Every Woman Every Child (EWEC) is an unprecedented global movement to address the major health challenges facing women, children, and adolescents around the world. The Global Strategy presents a roadmap to ending all preventable deaths of women, children, and adolescents within a generation.
FP2020 is an Every Woman Every Child partner, and a commitment to FP2020 is counted as a commitment to Every Woman Every Child. A significant portion of all EWEC commitments are through FP2020: from July 2012 through July 2017, a total of 124 partners made FP2020/EWEC commitments, including 55 governments, 38 civil society organizations, 9 foundations, 4 multilateral institutions, and 11 private sector partners. FP2020 commitments to extend the lifesaving benefits of modern contraception play a vital role in contributing to improved outcomes for women’s, children’s, and adolescents’ health and wellbeing.
FP2020 also coordinates with other global and regional initiatives in the reproductive health sector:
- FP2020 maintains strong relationships with the World Bank, collaborating with the Global Financing Facility Secretariat and contributing to the Bank’s adolescent health strategy. In 2017 FP2020 broadened its partnership with the Bank to include the Sahel Women’s Empowerment and Demographic Dividend Project (SWEDD), a joint project from the World Bank and UNFPA.
- FP2020 coordinates with the Ouagadougou Partnership, with monthly calls between the FP2020 Secretariat and the OP Coordination Unit to align the work across the nine OP countries in Francophone Africa and in the region.
- FP2020 participates in World Health Organization initiatives, including the Implementing Best Practices (IBP) initiative, HRP (the UNDP/UNFPA/UNICEF/WHO/World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction), the Technical Working Group on SRHR in Humanitarian Settings, and the High-Level Working Group on the Health and Human Rights of Women, Children and Adolescents.
- FP2020 partners with K4Health on Family Planning Voices (#FPVoices), a highly successful global storytelling project that shares personal stories from people who are passionate about family planning.
- FP2020 serves as a core convener of the HIP Partnership, together with USAID, UNFPA, WHO, and IPPF.
- FP2020 collaborates with the International Youth Alliance for Family Planning (IYAFP) and other youth networks to strengthen youth participation in family planning and improve the broader sexual and reproductive health community’s understanding of youth friendly services.
- FP2020 also coordinates with the Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition (RHSC), the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH), the Inter-Agency Working Group for Reproductive Health in Crises (IAWG), the Interagency Gender Working Group (IGWG), Women Deliver, and SheDecides.